Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Let It Rain

As rain cleanses the earth, tears cleanse the heart and soul.

Today, when I woke up to a gray sky and the rhythmic pit-pat of rain knocking on my window, I struggled to get out of bed for what would prove to be another productive day at work. How I desired to simply stay in my comfy pajamas and over-sized sweat shirt snuggled beneath the layers of covers on my queen-sized bed. As I fought the mental battle with myself of just how many times I could hit snooze before getting up and still making it to the office on time, my mind and attention wandered to the reality of what was just outside my window. Yes, it was rain. Another cold January day, but instead of the sunshine to smile back at me, the gloomy day taunted me.

So many times I find people, myself included, lamenting the rainy days and always wishing for brighter times. Of course the latter automatically give us a reason to smile, be encouraged, and go through the day in a more chipper mood than usual. These blue skied days, whether requiring a coat because of the chill in the air or a summer dress to beat the heat, offer more opportunities to enjoy the beauty of the earth and outdoors. We appreciate these beautiful days, but have only learned to do so because of the dreary days that show up at their leisure.

Through the years I've learned the weather parallels my emotions. There are times in life when everything seems right and all is well. I smile because it's easy; I laugh at the simple moments and embrace everything positive in every aspect of life. That mountain that looked so treacherous is now beneath my feet as I view teh world from the highest point. I have a pep in my step and a song in my heart that cannot be explained by mere words. I smile and the world smiles back at me. These are the sun shiny days.

But then I realize that there are times when life seems overwhelming, that nothing feels like it's going in the right direction, and nothing really makes sense. I question not just one, but every aspect of life and why its performance is playing out in ways I didn't imagine. It's like watching a movie and questioning all along how it will end. The days that bring about pain and heartache test my character and strength, but most of all test my heart's courage to take a leap of faith again in the future. In the face of adversity and heart wrenching circumstances, at times there is only one thing to do: release those emotions through personal rain.

Just as the rain that falls from the sky cleanses the muck that so entangles the beauty of the earth, so the tears that stream down cheeks are necessary at times to cleanse the heart and soul of hurtful emotions and memories of the past in order to walk foward and again, climb that mountin that seems impossible.

So, when the tears well up, I've learned not to fight them back, but let them freely flow and enjoy the freedom that comes when my heart is clean.

1 comment:

  1. Love! :-) Your writing is beautiful, and I know exactly how you feel on those rainy and dreary days..... but I just have to be thankful for them! :-)

    ReplyDelete